It was a bit of a drive to pick her up, I've been having to wander further from home in order to find any good furniture as we have a drought on at the moment. I brought my cat and side kick - Miss Do-as-I-please, along for the trip as she loves car trips, she climbs up on my shoulders and wedges herself between my neck and head rest and happily gazes out the window. I tied her to a post while we loaded the piece into the Mazda, Im sure the gentlemen I purchased from thought I was a right eccentric!
I'm noticing that the colour is a lot brighter in these pictures posted to blogger than in my saved pictures in my editing software. I read recently in a post by Reeves over at TheWeatheredDoor that she has found away around this, as apparently this happens to pictures in blogger. In real life the blue is not this bright, it is actually more of a NAVY blue living up to the 'Moody' blue name. I just did a side by side comparison of the blogger pictures with my saved pictures and there is a noticeable difference in the brightness of the blue. Annoying. Reeves gives a helpful tutorial on how to upload photos manually in HTML to override this brightening Blogger nuance.
The piece was large and chunky with a strong oak pattern. Oak is perfect for painting in these bold colours as their strong grain is visible through the paint. In this case the oak grain grabbed hold of the black glaze I wiped on perfectly
I used some paste wax and traced along a few of the strips of oak grain on the top of the piece so that the paint would easily come away later to reveal the grain. I used my critter spray gun to lay down the base coat. I only needed to do two coats. Next I did some distressing, and as hoped the waxed parts let go of the paint and gave me 'veined' looking distressing.
The next step was to do a thick black glaze over the entire piece to help achieve the look that I loved about the wall in the picture above. I wanted it to look old, dark and moody (and in real life it is!)
Lastly, I added a few flecks of turquoise and a dash or two of yellow to give a little bit of highlighting along all that lovely raised detail along the front.
I used tung oil finish to give everything a pop of sheen and a little extra protection. My paint was Dulux Diamond in Pearl finish.