Monday 27 May 2013

Very Whitewashed Grey Dresser

This dresser was a long and drawn out affair (think Victor and Nikky from Y&R)  I began by painting it a light blue, but the finished effect looked ill suited to anything but a nursery.  The plan was to have it in our bedroom, so nursery was definitely out of the question.



Phase two was to paint over the blue with grey.  It looked better.  A little.  But it still didn't have any pazzaz and it just didn't quite get me excited.



Phase three was to whitewash over the grey, ok I started to like it a little more, but it needed some extra contrast in my mind, bring on Phase four..



Phase four was to stain the top a very very dark chocolate (almost black) to amp up the contrast a bit.



It is a great addition to the muted tones of our bedroom and provides ample storage for Mr. Chuckles' unmentionables.



The cute vintage pictures are framed advertisements from old 1950s 'Life' magazines passed down to us from Mr. Chuckle's grandfather. I love the one of Santa holding a typewriter.



A close up of the whitewash technique.  I painted over the knobs as well, and then did some light distressing to show the brass through.  

I haven't decided if I will distress the dresser.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I think if the hardware matched the top color, it would pop even more.. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks awesome! and I agree with Josh's comment. I'd really love to do that finish on our wooden aquarium stand

    ReplyDelete