Thursday 12 September 2013

Antique Dresser in Grey

I love this style of dresser!  I do a little tap dance every time I see one at a reasonable price.  Ratta-tatta tat! They are so delicate and airy, and those little turned legs just warm my heart.



This gem was in pretty good shape.  She was missing a few pieces of veneer here and there, but it was nothing that a little bit of wood filler couldn't fix.  



I custom mixed up this grey using some darker grey and white paint.  I knew I wanted it to be a fairly light, almost pastel type grey.  It can be hard to eyeball it when mixing your own colours without a chip or sample to go off, but in this case, I am pretty happy with the shade.



The top was in wonderful condition apart from a few water marks.  Because of this, I gave a light coat of zinsser BIN to the top only, just to lock in that water stain.



I did three coats of the grey all over, two probably would of sufficed but just to be safe I did a third.



My grey paint is a flat, and the white was a satin, so together these two paints made the perfect sheen.  It looks a bit like chalk paint with the wax applied, a lovely, yet very soft sheen.



I love the original hardware, ornate and delicate.  Plus I LOVE ring pulls.  I decided to paint them out white though as I wanted a super romantic and soft feel.  The white contrasts great with the grey.



This is my first piece of furniture with casters.  Kinda neat, but those little suckers like to sneak away from you when they aren't planted on top of a carpet.  Miss Do-As-I-Please keeps jumping up on it for fair-ground rides.  If she wasn't a cat she would be screaming 'Yipeeeeeeeee'.  Nothing beats furniture surfing!



Here is the before, the light patches are wood filler.

All from me!




linking up to:
missmustardseed
http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com
http://www.redouxinteriors.com
http://www.domestically-speaking.com/2013/09/195th-power-paint-party-popp.html











6 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love love love the color! I found you on Miss. Mustard Seed! If you like to link up come over to Craft Frenzy Friday at www.craftdictator.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my favorite blog party to visit. omg the power of paint and its ability to charm! bravo to you!

    hope you can hop over when you have a chance to read my interview with a hero of mine, rachel ashwell.http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2013/09/couture-prairie-interview-with-rachel.html

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on this and I love the harware!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this dresser! Found a dresser at a sale a few weeks ago very simular to this little piece. We painted it AS Paris Grey & finished it with little white porcelain knobs.Hope to have some photos up soon!

    Glad & Celia

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous!!! Such the perfect gray for a dresser. I'm featuring it in this week's Power of Paint Party Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this gray color, how pretty!! I would love for you to come link up at my Furniture and Paint Party going on NOW!!
    http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/09/furniture-paint-party.html
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete