Saturday 2 August 2014

Two tone MCM and some twins

I love this piece. The little strip at the bottom between the two legs really does it for me.  Serious.  I am really happy I decided to keep the legs the original wood and not paint them white.

 
She almost didn't make it, this girl.  I paid a good deal more than I normally would for her, but she was in really good condition and my nosing around in the store didn't uncover anything better, so I had Mr Chuckle's and the store clerk load both her and her baby twins (nightstands ) up into the Mazda.  Sadly, we forgot any type of strapping to fasten them in place.
 
 
 
Fast forward ten minutes, pan in on a plucky Mazda 3 chugging down Victoria St. with a dresser gaily swinging out her hatch.  Red light turns green, foot tickles accelerator, dresser falls out back of car onto busy street.   BOOM.
 
 
It took a good split-second for Mr. Chuckle's and I to realize what happened.  A lighting fast glance into the rear-view confirmed the suspicions the loud BOOM had planted in my mind.  The dresser was now lying corpse-still in the middle of a very busy street.  Shhhhhhhhhit.  Mr. C and I both jumped from the car just in time to witness the old man driving the SUV behind us pull out into the other lane waving a fist at us ' You pesky kids!'. 
Oops.
 
 
We managed to reload the old girl with much less fuss than you would expect from a dresser lying in the middle of a busy road, and the icing on the cheesecake was that there was no damage.  Not to the piece, not to the Mazda, and not even to my ego.  Perfect! 

Mr. Chuckles on the other hand was a bit broody over this 'embarrassment'.  Men are so funny. Female = 'wow, we really dodged a bullet there!'.  Male = 'that was really embarrassing, I can't believe YOU didn't tether the dresser down better'.
 
 
I added insult to injury not 1 Km later when I spotted an adorable curio cabinet cast off on the roadside. Who throws these things away?!  It took some coaxing and ego stroking, but I managed to convince him that we should go back and pick it up.

 
Ok, enough story telling, and onto the transformation.  I opted for the ever so popular two-tone in a bone white.  After sanding and priming, I used a Cabinet Coat paint from Benjamin Moore which I love.  It gives such a wonderful finish that looks virtually brush-stroke free.  And it is scrubbable as well. Bonus!  This is now my go-to paint for whites.  I still love my Dulux Diamond, but for whites, I just can't go past the cabinet coat. It produces such a wonderful finish.
 
 
I was tempted to paint the nightstands to match, but only the tops and drawer facings had any real sign of wear, so I thought it would be easiest to refinish those parts and keep the rest original. Yes, I admit it, sometimes I do what is 'easiest', sue me. 

 
 They turned out great.  One of the tops has excellent wood grain, nice and swirly.  The other one must have been fed the dregs at the lumber yard because she is a little on the bland side.

 
 
These are really short pieces (22") which makes the legs look even taller than they are. In the words of Ron Burgundy, 'Its an optical illusion'.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! Lucky you on the spill! I have actually lost a drawer on a delivery to a client. Never did locate it. I have learned to "tether".
    I'm not familiar w/the BM cabinet white paint??? Is it new??

    ReplyDelete