Monday 7 October 2013

A Tall Frenchman in Green

This dapper dresser was in dire need of some love when I picked him up. 


He belonged to a young girl who had a fascination with graffiti, named Brittany.  I know this, because she practiced those graffiti skills all over this poor dresser. My powers of deduction tell me Brittany liked The Back Street Boys, was in love with a boy named Brandon, and the stickers plastered all over the side indicate she enjoyed the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.


 Needless to say, a lot of prep work was involved in making a blank canvas and undoing some of Brittany’s, (ahem), art skills. 


 I had mentioned in my previous post that I wanted to paint in green.  I custom mixed up this colour and admit that I tweaked it a bit with each additional coat to get a shade I was happy with. It was a bit of an evolving process to get the tone just right (not too bright, not too rustic) It reminds me a little bit of ASCP 'Florence'.


I topped with a touch of black glaze and did a light distressing because I felt it needed to be ‘aged’ up just a touch.



Here is a glimpse of just some of the creative flair young Brittany possessed.



8 comments:

  1. gorgeous redo! Lots of hard work paid off

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look, and the paint job was beautifully done! visiting from the link party. My posts are last :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there -
    I featured your dresser on my FB page - I was guest picker for MMS this week - almost chose your beautiful dresser! Tried to tag you on FB but couldn't find your page.
    Lovely dresser - what a change!
    Breida

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the color you made. It really gives this dear "high boy" dresser the job it deserved. Can't imagine parents letting a kid mess up her furniture. But then I'm from the old school of ideas, lol. You did such a gorgeous job of rehabing the piece.
    I make up my own colors many times. Problem is being able to make them again. I try to remember and write down what I do but then I lose track of where I put it. I made up my own coral and aqua colors to paint a little night stand. Now I want to paint another table like it but will just have to mix until it looks like other table I guess? lol.
    Love that you didn't do too much distressing, it looks very nice. Still getting used to distressed look I guess. People here don't like it at all, even a little bit. (Grand Junction, CO, west side of Rockies from Denver) I like distressing but when I did that to some pieces even a little people asked why they should buy something that was beat up. Go figure. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!! I love the story and I love the color, and black glaze!! What a great idea. Sharing at my party today at Redouxinteriors, starts at 1:00 PST. Thank you so much for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful color, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful color, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeousssss! Love the color, especially! Found you via Miss Mustard Seed link party :)

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete