Friday 4 October 2013

Pair of Two-Toned MCM Beauties!

I picked up this beautiful pair of dressers from a very kind gentleman who was moving out of town to be closer to his girlfriend.  He decided to sell up most of his stuff prior to leaving.  I love MCM pieces (doesn’t everyone?) and jumped at the chance to pick up these two beauties. 


First up is the six-drawer which features two drawers with horizontal trim and four drawers with vertical trim for a nice contrast.  I also love the little white piece which separates the bottom drawer halves. 


 They were in very good ‘vintage condition’ already, but the tops and sides had some markings.  Because of this I decided to do a two-tone look which I have done previously (here).  I used an off-white as I find a pure white a bit to stark next to the warmth of the wood.



I removed the drawers and sanded the body of the dresser, I also removed the feet in order to sand and paint them too. I primed first and then did about four coats of white paint (any wonder why I hate painting in white?).  But it was worth it, because I love how good the off-white looks with the walnut drawers.



The drawers were in very good shape with just a few small markings here and there, however, they had a real 70s glossy finish on them.  I decided to lightly sand back the drawer facings to remove that shine, and then do a light coat of gel stain in dark walnut. 



The gel stain didn’t really change the colour much, but the finish is a lot flatter and more contemporary looking now. 


I love the ribbed detailing on the drawer facings, much more unique than just a straight type of panel.


Next up is a frenchy dresser in (what I hope) will be a lovely shade of green!  Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, great job. I love doing two tone myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice combo. I've done a few like these and agree that the color combo is great. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete